The Envision Yountville General Plan update process began in February 2017 and ended in May 2019. The effort, which culminated in a comprehensive update of the Yountville General Plan, was comprised of three phases: the Speaker Series phase, the Policy Review phase, and the General Plan phase.
Phase One: The Speaker Series
Beginning in February 2017, the Yountville Community Center hosted five engaging community events that were all about what makes Yountville special. The series featured speakers from throughout the community as well as nationally respected planning experts. The events were as follows:
February 16: What is Envision Yountville?
March 9: Getting Around Town
March 23: Achieving Balance
April 13: Agricultural Preservation
May 18: Community Character
Each of the events were filmed, and can be viewed here.
On March 16, 2017, after two of the Speaker Series sessions occurred, recruitment began for the Envision Yountville Town Advisory Group (TAG). The purpose of the TAG was to assemble a group of community-minded individuals with the task to review all of the existing General Plan policies and to make recommendations to the Town Council for revisions, deletions, and additions. Recruitment for the group ended on April 14, following the Agricultural Preservation Speaker Series Session, with a total of 31 applications received.
During its May 2 regular meeting, the Town Council decided to interview every applicant. Interviews were held at the Yountville Town Hall on May 19, May 30, May 31, and June 2. Following the interviews, the Town Council met on June 6 to discuss the ultimate makeup of the advisory group. Nine members were appointed to the group along with two alternate members who would only vote if they were full members missing from the meeting.
With the TAG assembled and the Speaker Series sessions completed, the effort was able to enter Phase 2.
Phase two: policy review
The following community members were appointed to the Town Advisory Group (TAG):
All of the TAG meetings were filmed, and can be viewed here.
During this time, three special public workshops were held in the Community Center. The workshops were held on August 24, 2017, November 21, 2017, and April 26, 2018. At each meeting, the community was asked a series of questions with polling technology that allowed the community to immediately see the responses of those present. The questions were also made available online for those unable to attend the workshops.
Each of the workshops were filmed, and can be viewed here.
Several Boards and Commissions also received presentations and offered input during this time. Presentations were made to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission and the Zoning and Design Review Board. The Town Council also held special Study Sessions on February 27 and March 27 to review the progress of the TAG and the Envision Yountville effort as a whole.
In addition to these public meetings and workshops held at the Community Center and Town Hall, two focus group presentations were held . A meeting was held at the Veterans Home to receive input from Veterans Home residents. Another meeting was held with members of the Yountville Business Community.
Following these public meetings and review sessions, the TAG provided staff with their recommendations regarding the various General Plan objectives and policies. Following the TAG meeting of May 10, 2018, the TAG took a recess of meetings while Town Staff and consultant team prepared the required Environmental Impact Report and draft General Plan.
PHASE Three: the general plan
Town Staff and the consultant team spent one year working on the General Plan. Before it was approved by the Town Council, several important milestones occurred. These milestones are outlined below.
- July 31, 2018 - Environmental Impact Report Notice of Preparation posted
- August 23, 2018 - Special Meeting of the Town Advisory Group to review the working draft of the General Plan
- August 27, 2018 - Environmental Impact Report Scoping Meeting. This is a public meeting, though the purpose of the scoping meeting is for receiving comments from regional public agencies
- October 13, 2018 - Public Open House for draft of General Plan. Video available here.
- November 5, 2018 - Arts Commission review of draft General Plan
- November 13, 2018 - Zoning and Design Review Board review of draft General Plan
- November 15, 2018 - Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission review of draft General Plan
- November 29, 2018 - Draft Environmental Impact Report published. Available for download here (large file)
- December 4, 2018 - Town Council review of draft General Plan
- March 26, 2019 - Final Environmental Impact Report published. Available for download here (large file)
- April 9, 2019 - Zoning and Design Review Board final review of General Plan. Agenda available here.
- April 25, 2019 - Special Meeting of the Zoning and Design Review Board to consider recommendation to the Town Council. Agenda available here.
- May 7, 2019 - Town Council final review and adoption of General Plan. Agenda available here.